I'm back

Sometimes you need a little time to adjust and regroup. The past few months have been a pretty big adjustment period in my life. Between finishing grad school, uprooting my life and moving, and various other changes in my personal life, it's been hard to find time to catch my breath!

Aside from the weight that was lifted off my shoulders once I defended and turned in my thesis this summer, all of the stress that was built up from two years of grad school has been slowly melting away these past few months. As the months have passed,  I've become more like myself again. Less edgy/stressed, happier, and more energetic! I no longer feel the need to constantly race against the clock to get 28 hours worth of work done in 24 hours. I can sleep in on the weekends without feeling guilty that I should be doing work...because there is none to do!

One question that I keep getting repeatedly is, "When are you going back to get your PhD?" This was a goal of mine for so many years. I really couldn't picture my life without getting a PhD. While I'm not saying that I won't ever go back, I'm just not sure that I will for a while. First, my career isn't what will give me ultimate satisfaction in my life. Family and relationships with others will. Second, you don't need a PhD to get some of the jobs I want. So until not having a PhD is holding me back from my dream job, I'm happy with staying put. Third, I honestly have no idea what I would want to study specifically. I would definitely go to a PhD program in quantitative psychology/assessment with a focus on survey research, but I don't have a clear research interest in that field right now. So my answer to everyone's question is, "Maybe someday!"

I feel like I'm finally adjusting to living in the DC area. I love where I live in Fairfax and have gotten to spend a lot of time in DC on the weekends. Although I like this new area, I miss Harrisonburg like crazy! Harrisonburg feels like home to me more than Virginia Beach, and that's saying a lot. I would give anything to wake up in my old townhouse, grab a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel sandwich from Mr. J's, and head to the mountains for the day to go wine tasting! I'm hoping to head back for a long weekend in March or April and I cannot waitttt!

I don't want to bore you with all this text and no food photos, so here are a few things I've made in the past few months that I've failed to blog about!

 Channa Masala

Grilled chicken with hoisin sauce, spiced basmati rice, and grilled potatoes and onions

 Thanksgiving!

 Spaghetti and meat sauce (ground turkey)
Sauce Secret: splash of red wine

 Chicken enchiladas and pico de gallo

Thai coconut curry with potatoes, red peppers, and cauliflower
Note: the best red curry paste is found in Indian groceries!


Honey whole wheat bread 


Brush the crust with melted butter, garlic salt, and italian seasoning...you.will.die


I'm off to catch up on TV shows, relax, and clean my apartment because today is my Friday off ;-) I'm hoping Rainbow will do the cleaning while I relax. Wishful thinking? Probably. The only thing she's good at doing is helping me read the paper tear up the paper...



Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular Posts