Mission: Unplug

Hey bloggies!

Do you sometimes feel that you can't unplug? I do. Every day.



Let me give you a glimpse of my schedule as of late.

6:30am: alarm goes off
6:40am: alarm #2 goes off [just in case]
7:00am: check e-mail after showering
7:50am-4:00pm: sit in front of a computer for 8ish hours at work and occasionally check my phone (blogs, facebook, etc.)
4:00pm-10:00pm: call family/friends to catch up, watch episodes, read blogs, etc.

My face is either glued to a computer or my hand is glued to a phone for over 12 hours a day. This folks, is a problem.

This inability to unplug started in grad school. I would spend from 7am-7pm on campus in class or working. After that, I would come home, eat dinner fast or in front of the computer, and proceed to do my homework [typically on the computer...hello SPSS] until 11pm or later!

There is a teeny tiny difference between then and now. I don't have to be glued to electronics once the clock strikes 4pm. If I don't want to sit in front of a computer, I can choose not to.

So here it is...Mission: Unplug.

I will unplug for a few hours a day by doing different non-computer/cell phone/TV related things. Such as...
  • Eating dinner at the dinner table (no phone allowed)
  • Reading a novel when I get home
  • Getting together with friends (when schedules permit)
  • Exercising
I accomplished night #1 of eating dinner at the dinner table in complete silence. It was glorious.

Simple Spaghetti
  • Saute 1/2 cup of chopped onion in EVOO until translucent 
  • Add 1 can tomato sauce, 1 can tomato paste, and 1 can diced tomatoes
  • Add garlic, basil, pepper, and salt as needed
Garlic "Bread" Pita
  • Butter pita, grate Parmesan cheese over top, sprinkle garlic powder and paprika, toast






I challenge each of you to unplug at least once a day. Experience peace and quiet. Allow yourself to actually process your day. Whether it's turning your cell phone on silent for an hour to sit in thought or spending one less hour in front of the TV, that's a start. And that's huge.

Keep me posted. Let me know how you unplug, and I'll do the same.

Have a relaxing and unplugged evening, y'all!

Comments

Popular Posts